THE TESIFA PROJECT
THE NEED —
As you know, abject poverty consumes the eastern region of Africa where we work. We see it every day; children at risk of starvation. This was the cruel reality we saw when we first met Asha. Her death from starvation broke something in us, and the phrase “refuse to do nothing” took on a stronger, more urgent meaning. We began to see the root cause of this issue clearer than ever before.
Addressing abject poverty is not just about feeding, it is about changing the culture. The people in this region have lived in extreme poverty for so long, they don’t even know there is another way of life. But there is.
No parent should ever have to watch their child die from starvation!
THE VISION —
The vision is to bring an end to abject poverty in this region of East Africa. Our objective is to provide opportunities to people who literally have none; giving them a better way of life through a sustainability program known as the Tesifa Project. This is a multifaceted, long-term project designed to save lives, create jobs, and operate as a comprehensive training program for agriculture and dairy. It will also provide an income stream to offset operational costs.
Through the Tesifa Project, Crisis Aid’s staff in East Africa will work with the people in this region. Show them, Teach them, and Walk alongside them as they learn how to work effectively within the fields of both agriculture and dairy. Once this is accomplished, those in the program will be provided with their own starter calves and high-quality starter plants. This will eventually branch out to neighboring villages through a cooperative (co-op) structure.
Now the transformation begins; a new way of life for the people and their families for generations to come.
WHERE WE ARE TODAY —
The components of the Tesifa Project are; an expanded Feeding Program, a Pediatric Hospital, a Dairy Operation, and an Agricultural Demonstration Farm. To date:
- – Multiple tracts of land associated with the feeding program have been purchased. initially, 15 acres has now more than doubled.
- – Water wells – open to the public are completed in partnership with the nearby community counsel. A second water well is also installed for specific use with the hospital and farming needs.
- – OH! Dairy Barn now holds 50 dairy cows and is fully operational with water, heat, light, and milk-producing cows. This milk is solid in our dairy store creating jobs, income, community outreach, and steering us toward sustainability.
- – The Bio-Gas system is now operational and being captured as an energy source for the dairy.
- – OH! Cafe’s in a nearby towns will be opened soon. It will create jobs for girls rescued from Sexual Slavery in the Red Light District.
- – The Pediatric hospital is open and serving patients. Because of you, we are on our way, implementing a 5-year growth plan toward a fully operational pediatric hospital and surgical unit. There are no other hospitals or usable clinics available in the area for the poor.
- – Wheat/flow/grain mill has been installed and is operating as a cost-saving and income-generating resource. This mill allows us to purchase food for the hungry in bulk at lower costs, grind our own and feed more people. We can now prepare the food on-site, create jobs, and make the mill available for use for other companies needing its’ services for a fee.
THE GOAL —
Implement an income-generating holistic solution to extreme starvation and poverty in this region. It is vitally important to stabilize the children in this region while the remaining elements are built.
We need your help. We are asking that you search your heart, and to be a part of their solution. The Pediatric Hospital is nearing completion and with Covid-19 we are doubling down on efforts to open early in order to stem the tide of lives being lost in the communities we serve. There is no financial gift too small or too big! Every gift matters.
- – 3 floors of the Pediatric Hospital are completed and are in the process of being outfitted for daily operations. We need your help to complete this.
- – The OH! Dairy Barn is at full capacity and producing both Milk and Bio Gas with 50 cows. We are beginning to expand the scale of this operation and are breaking ground for a second Barn. This allows us to serve more people in need, produce more product, hire more from the community, teach more people how to thrive, and create a greater income-generating model to serve the community on a greater scale.
- – The first phase of the Agricultural Demonstration Farm has begun – clearing the land and planting the first wave of rotation crops, preparing the soil for healthy coffee trees. It is time to begin planting healthy coffee trees and rotation crops in. This will be a training, equipping, and empowering model that will impact the region and coffee quality as it is distributed around the world.
Producing change for generations to come is not easy. But it is working and already we are seeing the long-term benefits and reduction in extreme starvation among the hundreds of families we are already serving. Working together in unison, we are making this model a reality. We are excited to give you updates on the lives you have changed through the Tesifa Project.
We thank God for you every day and pray His richest blessings on you. Never doubt, you have made a tremendous impact on this world by continuing to refuse to do nothing!
God Bless You
Pat & Sue Bradley
Founders, Crisis Aid International
The Answer And Need In Recent Images —